Sunday, June 18, 2006

Madness: Sunsets, Spawning and Swifts

Okay, some randomn madness for you this week.

Swifts are nesting just outside my window and with temperatures approaching 30 celcius, I really need to get that window wide open. However, this obstructs their flight path so they can't feed their chicks. Which means I swelter. Swifts 1 T 0. Altogether now, awwwww.
But then I shot them.

Sunsets are supercool. Infinite variations on a theme, but all good. I snapped these pics coming out from my work place and managed to some decent shots- I know they aren't great but I was in a car driven by someone doing a Fast and Furious re-enactment. In a drop top.

At one point, I was halfway out of the passenger seat camera in hand around a corner and nearly took a cyclist's head clean off. He was pissed but I managed to turn it into a learning experience about how he should have been wearing a helmet. 'It's useless' he claimed. 'Aha', I exclaimed, 'but it protects you from men leaning out of cars brandishing cameras.' He lunged for it but my camera survived and I present you with the results.


Nearby is a great huge clock tower which looks particularly ploretariat especially since they've added neon lights to try to brighten it up.
For once, I got the exposure setting correct on my camera!

The stream behind my flat is alive! The rudd are spawning at the moment and it's like a mass S&M party for the fish- orgy + death as the oxygen levels plummet with algae blooms and warm water. When that was pretty much done for the day, we spotted a lot of wandering fish so decided to have a competition to see who can catch the most fish with a pathetically small net.

I mean small. The fish are about 8-9 inches on average and the net is a superblue, 4 1/2 incher. Madness, you say? I scoff at your disbelief- the score stands at 2 all with photographic evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home